development of communications in this region has favored cultural
and educational interchange, as well as political and economical
life. Although in 1961 the farthest spots in the mountains of the
zone received the so called "alphabetizers", who combated
illiteracy and planted the seed of eagerness for new knowledge among
the inhabitants of the region, it was not until the completion of
the road of La Farola, linking the city of Guantánamo with
the previously isolated Baracoa, that all the people from the region
had access to culture.
After that, many other roads that allow access to this province
have been built. Now Baracoa can widely display its fortified system
that used to defend the city from the attack of pirates and privateers,
and among them the fort Matachín, which houses the Museo
There we find also the parochial church where they treasure the
Cruz de la Parra, a cross that constitutes the first Christian symbol
found in the island.
The Duaba Obelisk, erected at the place where lieutenant general
of the Liberation Army Antonio Maceo disembarked in 1895.