the easternmost Cuban province, located more than 900 km (562 mi)
away from Havana, is the only site of the island where there are
zones with semi-desertic landscapes.
In the territory of this province we find the city of Baracoa, the
first town founded by the Spaniards in Cuba (1512), which constitutes
the first tourist attraction of the region.
The visitor that arrives to the city can appreciate a system of
colonial fortresses erected to defend the city against pirate raids.
Forts like Matachín, La Punta, and Seboruco, the fortified
towers at Joa and Caguase or the Castillo de la Villa, currently
become a comfortable hotel, reveal the secrets of that epoch.
One can also enjoy a ride on a "cayuca", a typical boat
of the region, along rivers Duaba, Miel, Yumurí or Toa.
Nature lovers, are able to appreciate the beauty of the mountain
range that constitutes the national park Alejandro de Humboldt,
treasuring the widest rivers of the country, and admire the terraces
at La Máquina or the "monitongos" of Hatibonico.